Finally, I hit the big 4-0 but the funny thing is I don’t feel it. About 2 months back, I stopped getting asked for my ID.
Working in the cosmetic industry, I come across many women of all different ages. I often get asked “how old do you think I am?” by many of my clients.
If you were to ask me…do I come across women who actually look younger than their age –Yes, Do women look older than their age– Yes, Do women look their exact age– Yes. Much of age depend on health, how good we feel about our age, how happy and positive we are about our choices we made in life, Our weight, How we dress, and most important How we wear our hair and makeup.
I think many women in their 40′s don’t know how to wear their makeup and hair.
Tips on wearing makeup in your 40′s
- First and most important is taking care of your skin, start with a gentle face cleanser, a mask once a week, good moisturizer, good hydrating eye cream, SPF 30 or higher.
- Next choose a foundation that is sheer or tinted that is moisturizing. Stay away from oil free or matte. Matte can make you look dry and focus on wrinkles. Basically oil free and matte foundation can make you look like a Prune.
- Optional if you choose to set your foundation with powder go with loose or translucent powder.
- 40′s is a great age to wear Blush if nothing else. I have noticed as we age our skin loses its natural glow and our skin starts to have this dull color to it. Best way to add color to our skin is by applying blush. Choose a Blush more natural to your skin color with a little radiance and brightness. Best colors are some soft pinks, peachy, peachy Bronze or apricot. I usually prefer cream blush over powder blush because cream blushes add radiant glow to you skin.
- For eyes very important, if you never wore an eyeshadow base start now. You will be shocked how eye shadow base takes years of your eyes. Our lids get darker and thinner as we age the base is great because it gives it a lift and brightness to your eyes. You don’t even need to wear eyeshadow just apply the base and go. My favorite eyeshadow base is by Laura Mercier nothing works better. But if you choose to wear eye-shadows, I usually use my blush as eyeshadow because our lid start to get a little dark as well so applying soft bright colors. To apply eyeshadow start from the lid to crease. Pick a dark navy, dark chocolate, or very dark purple as a liner for the eyes. Apply the liner along the upper and lower lash line and smoke it out especially heaver on the corners of the eyes. Finish with a mascara.
- Picking colors for the lips can be a tricking but pick colors closer to the shade of you lips and just go a little brighter or even a darker and follow it a lip pencil. It is very important to line your lips. It make you lips look fuller and prevent the lipstick from bleeding.
Here is a list of some of my favorite
Orgasm, Angelika, Lovejoy, Mata Hari, Crazed By NARS Cosmetic Powder Blushes
Montenegro, Constantinople, Cactus Flower NARS Cream Blushes
Laura Mercier Eye Basics–Eye Shadow Base “Love it”